Hostelling International Canada – a long-time accommodations provider in Jasper – needed a new facility which could provide more rooms to serve the growing number of visitors to Jasper National Park each year. HI Canada awarded Horizon North the design-build contract for a new hostel, two staff accommodations buildings, and a maintenance facility.
Jasper National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This unique standing and its role as a national park mean that protection of the natural environment is a critical need for any project. The new hostel and support facilities needed to have sustainability as a key focus with an expectation of minimal waste, site disruption, and traffic to avoid environmental impacts.
Using our innovative modular construction methods, Horizon North was able to deliver on the project’s key needs of sustainability and time to market. With the 66 required modules completed largely off-site, the project’s on-site footprint was minimized – fewer deliveries and traffic, less time on site, and less noise and dust that are common to conventional construction.
Manufacturing began in August 2018 and the hostel opened to its first guests in July 2019, a time savings of up to 50 per cent from conventional construction. The 25,000-square-foot, three-storey main lodge accommodates 157 guests over a mix of room types, and includes amenities such as a fireplace lounge, media room, games room and on-site café and kitchen.
66 total modules over 4 buildings
- 25,000 square foot, three-storey lodge accommodating 157 guests
- 25 four-bed shared rooms, 17 private rooms, five family rooms
- Various amenities including guest laundry, on-site cafe, kitchen, patio with BBQ and fire pit
- 2 staff accommodations buildings
- Maintenance facility
- Sustainable construction
- Timeline and cost certainty
- Project completed with minimal impact on environment, visitors and residents
- 10 months from manufacturing start (August 2018) to opening for first guests (June 2019)
- Functional and trendy design
Coast Oliver Hotel
Oliver, British Columbia
Ramada Inn Hotel
Revelstoke, British Columbia