How Horizon North Gives back
We believe in supporting and strengthening the communities in which we work, live, and play.
The Horizon North culture is one that fosters volunteerism and authentic relationship building. Our employees generously give up their personal time to serve with organizations such as STARS and Kev’s Kids, as well as volunteering within Aboriginal communities. Our leadership team takes a personal interest in being out in the communities, ensuring we build strong, supportive relationships.
At Horizon North, we take our social responsibility seriously and strive to better every community we come into contact with.
Ways We Give Back In Alberta
Our Alberta based operations have donated funds, time and energy to the following organizations and efforts:
- STARS – Various community events and donations.
- Kev’s Kids – A quad was raffled off and the money raised was sent to Kev’s Kids, a local Grande Prairie charity that helps “kids who fall between the cracks”.
- The Friends of Fox Creek – As a proud member of the Fox Creek Chamber of Commerce, we participated in the community’s annual Canada Celebrations. We served a hot breakfast to anyone who donated to the local charity organization “The friends of Fox Creek” who in turn supported the local hospital. Throughout the morning we served over 200 breakfast sandwiches and raised over $450.
- Ronald McDonald House – Participated in the “Home for Dinner” program, preparing and serving a meal to the residents of the House. Helping this important organization to “give sick children what they need most… their families.”
- United Way – donation drive.
- Fort McMurray CIBC Run for the Cure – Provided catering to the event.
- Fort McMurray Relay for Life – Providing catering to all participants of the event.
- Our Mobile Kitchen attends many charity events and fundraisers throughout the year!
Ways We Give Back In British Columbia
Our British Columbia based operations have donated funds, time and energy to the following organizations and efforts:
- Kamloops Food Bank – This organization serves 7,000 individuals, and during their renovation Horizon provided a temporary operating location allowing them to continuing their great work without disruption. This is in addition to a previous trailer donation and ongoing monetary contributions.
- Saulteau First Nations Pemmican Days – We volunteered to serve the welcoming feast for the Saulteau First Nations Annual Pemmican Days celebration in Chetwynd. We served 300 members of the community and by the end of the event our staff was fully engulfed in the celebrations.
- BC Lions Fan Fest Day
- BC Seniors Games
- YMCA Camp Deka
- Chris Rose Therapy Center for Autism
- School District #73 (Heavy Metal Rocks)
- Howling Coyote Education Fund
- Canadian Cancer Society (Relay For Life)
- Interior Community Services (Courtyard Childcare)
- Kamloopa Powwow
- Kamloops Broncos
- Kamloops Heat
- Kamloops Hospice Association
- Logan Lake Wellness Health & Youth Society
- MS Society of Canada (MS Walk 2013)
- Tahltan Band Council Chief’s Ride 2013
- TRU Drive the Trades Scholarship Fund
Calgary Flood 2013
Horizon North Camps & Catering provided their “kitchen on wheels” unit and personnel to help Calgarians affected by the June, 2013 floods. The kitchen was set up in the hard-hit neighbourhood of Bowness. Over a six-day period, we served approximately 6,500 hot meals to flood victims and volunteers who worked tirelessly from sunup to sundown with few breaks. In addition to providing much needed meals and snacks, our Horizon North team pitched in to help wherever needed, which included loading and unloading truckloads of donated supplies, directing traffic, assisting in the warehouse, delivering food and supplies, and even changing flat tires.
Easter Seals Camp Horizon
Easter Seals Camp Horizon is a one-of-a-kind camp for kids with disabilities that has been operating since 1965 in Kananaskis Country. While our similar names are just a coincidence, it is an outstanding facility run by an amazing group of people and Horizon North is proud to support them. In 2013 Horizon North donated and installed a modular structure for storage of their extensive camp gear, and the Horizon North manufacturing management group built an access ramp during a team building retreat at the camp. In the summer of 2014 a team from our corporate office served ice cream for campers and staff for a camp wrap up and our finance team joined in with the efforts of the CBC “Do Crew” to help with the annual camp clean up.
Relay for Life
For many years, Horizon North has provided the food to nourish the participants at the Fort McMurray Relay for Life. Our team of chefs and cooks have worked around the clock to provide first rate meals including a survivors dinner banquet, dinner for the participants, midnight snacks and breakfast. With a total tally donation of over $150,000 over the past 5 years, Horizon North is proud to be the main sponsor at this event that touches many lives.
Horizon North Provides Much-Needed Shelter
Horizon North is the recipient of the 2016 National HR Challenge Award, presented by Canadian HR Reporter and Thomson Reuters, for our efforts during the Fort McMurray wildfires.
Our Fort McMurray Story
Horizon North is proud to have helped those in need during the Fort McMurray wildfires by opening our doors to provide lodging & meals for hundreds of displaced persons and emergency staff.
Horizon North Proudly Lodges Women's World Hockey Elite
Strongly motivated by the organizational values and mission, Horizon North strives to build sustainable relations with all communities in which we work.